Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Fling with Pineapple Upside Down Cake

The warmer weather brings forth the sweet and juicy fruits that we love so much. Pineapples, being one of them, was a feast to my eyes at Whole Foods with the beautiful display of pineapples they feautured. Being Jamaican, I always reminisce about eating juicy pineapples as a kid. My memories and the beautiful display sparked my cooking enthusiasm. I first thought I would make pineapple juice with pears and mangoes but instead went with pineapple upside down cake that I have never eaten before, and I have always wanted to try it. I go to my trusted friend in cookbooks,  Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything and a recipe for pineapple upside down cake is right before my eyes. The recipe was really easy to follow and I was scared about scrambling the eggs with the melted butter but a tip (via foodnetwork) is to temper the ingredients so this won't happen. I combined the dry with wet ingredients, placed the pineapple in the buttered and sugared cast iron pan then gingerly layered the cake mixture on top of the pineapples. I excitedly put the cake in the oven and waited impatiently for an hour for it to finish. It looked beautifully brown when done but when transferring to the plate, the cast iron was so heavy, a piece of the cake came off. I recovered the cake and then thought to myself scars give us character even in the food world.

What is your favorite summer or spring fruit?

No comments:

Post a Comment